3rd Annual Sage-grouse 5k, 10k and Kid’s 1.5 and 3k run/walk events
Saturday April 13th, 2013
Online Registration is now open!!
- Click HERE for 2013 Course Maps (NOTE: Courses shown are approximate and could change slightly for race day.)
(The Sage-grouse running and walking events are just one part of the greater Sage-grouse Festival taking place at the University Center on the campus of Western State Colorado University (WSCU) in Gunnison, CO from 9am to around 3pm on Saturday April 13, 2013. For more information about the festival click here: http://siskadee.org)
THE 5K, 10K AND KID’S RUN/WALK EVENTS
Registration and Entry Fees
Kids in middle school and younger race for free; the entry fee for everyone else is $25 and include a super-cool t-shirt and a chili lunch in the WSC Student Center Ballroom. ALL PROCEEDS BENEFIT GUNNSON SAGE-GROUSE EDUCATION AND PROTECTION EFFORTS.
Register onsite on race day in the WSCU University Center Ballroom from 9am to 1045am Saturday April 13, 2013.Online Registration at runreg.com. Details coming soon.
These events are part of the 2013 Gunnison Sage-grouse Festival. Gunnison Trails has partnered with the Gunnison Basin Sage-grouse Strategic Committee and the local Gunnison Sage-grouse conservation community to raise awareness of this threatened bird among recreational and fitness-based trail users. It is vital for trail users to understand the importance of honoring seasonal closures and restrictions on lands important to the various life stages of the Gunnison Sage-grouse. These closures and restrictions take place primarily in the spring. For more information on Gunnison Sage-grouse go to siskadee.org or check out the Gunnison Trails Sage-grouse page.
2013 Schedule – Saturday April 13, 2012
|9am||Registration – WSCU Student Center Ballroom (Upstairs near the Ruby Cinema)|
|11am||Sage-grouse 10k run start – South side of WSCU University Center|
|11:02am||Sage-grouse 5k run/walk start - South side of WSCU University Center|
|11:04am||Sage-grouse Kids 1500 run/walk start - South side of WSCU University Center|
|12:12pm||Run/Walk Awards – WSCU University Center Ballroom|
- The Sage-grouse 5k run/walk will head south from the Western State Colorado University Center, cross highway 50 at Jorgenson Park, then find its way through Jorgenson to the road that runs east along the north side of the airport. This wide, flat gravel road will take runners to the turnaround point at Tomichi Creek State Park. The return route will be the same as the outbound route.
- The Sage-grouse 10k run course will start the same as the 5k but turn east on San Juan Avenue and follow the perimeter of Gunnison in a clockwise direction. Weather and conditions permitting, this will be a mixed surface route. Grass, gravel, dirt and/or trail sections may be included, for example, Jorgenson Park; WSCU campus; Mountaineer Bowl area; Char Mar Park/Van Tuyl/Gunnison Community Schools areas, etc. The new underpass and bridge at the Twin Bridges will be used, as well.
- Sage-grouse Kids 1500 run/walk - Part of the federal Let’s Move Outside program, the Sage-grouse 1500 kids race will start just like the adults but it will bang a hard left early on and it will stay on the WSCU campus and never cross any major streets. The route will juke and jive around most of the academic buildings on the east side of the campus. The surfaces will include sidewalk, grass and some parking lot. The course will be well marked and well staffed and parents are encouraged to run or walk with their kids. This course is about 1.5 kilometers and the older kids will do two laps. Ribbons for all participants and great prizes for the top 3 in each age category. Here are the age groups:
- 1500m (1.5k) Running Event:
- 5-6 year old race
- 7-8 year old race
- 9-10 year old race
- 3000m (3k) Running Event:
- 11-14 year old race